The U.S. advises against all travel to China amid fears of coronavirus spread

Get an AI-generated summary of this article.

AI-generated article summary

The U.S. government has raised its warning to the highest level and warned against all travel to China due to the fears caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

The State Department’s “do not travel” advice, announced for extremely severe cases, was issued soon after the WHO (World Health Organization) declared the outbreak a global emergency.

Those in China were asked to “consider departing using commercials means.”
The new coronavirus has wiped out at least 213 people in China, with more than 10,000 infected.

The WHO reports 98 confirmed cases in 18 other countries. No deaths have yet been reported outside of China. Most of the international cases are identified in people who have been to Wuhan, the epicentre of the new coronavirus outbreak.

In its updated advisory, the State Department of the U.S. requested that all U.S. government personnel defer nonessential travel to China.

Do not travel advise

A health official in Chicago reported Thursday the first case of person-to-person virus transmission in the United States. The transmission marked the second report of the virus in Illinois and the sixth confirmed case in the U.S.

The newly infected person is a 60-year-old male who reportedly contracted the virus from his spouse, a woman in Chicago who brought the infection back from Wuhan, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Officials described the patient as having “some underlying medical conditions” but as being in decent condition. His wife, who had been taking care of her father in Wuhan earlier this month, was also stable but kept in isolation at a local hospital.

For now, CDC director Dr. Robert Redfield has asked people to stay calm as officials continue monitoring patients across the U.S. for possible infections.
“Our assessment remains that the immediate threat to the American public is low,” Redfield said.

The Union for American Airlines pilots said it was suing the airline to halt flights between the U.S. and China. In a statement, the union announced that it had guided members to turn down requests to fly to China.

Speaking in Geneva, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that a global emergency was declared because of fears that the virus could reach countries with weaker health systems.

Tedros admired the “extraordinary measures” taken by the Chinese authorities. He said there was no intention to limit trade or travel to China. “Let me be clear, this declaration (of global health emergency) isn’t a vote of no confidence in China,” Tedros said.

Several other countries have also announced quarantine and evacuation plans for their nationals who want to come home from China. Russia has closed its 4300km far-eastern border with China amid concerns about the virus spread.

Air flights to China have been suspended, and companies such as Google, Starbucks, McDonald’s, Ikea, and General Motors have closed their stores or delayed operations.

About Writer

More News

Trump and Xi Meeting Ends with High Stakes, Few Deals, and a Taiwan Warning

US President Donald Trump arrived in Beijing on May 13 for the most consequential American presidential visit to China in nearly a decade, touching down at Beijing Capital International Airport to a ceremony featuring an honor guard and crowds of children waving Chinese and American flags. The two day summit opened with warm words and a careful agenda, but by the time both sides released their readouts of the first day of talks, it became clear that Washington and Beijing were still telling very different stories about what had happened in the room. How the Summit Opened Trump was greeted by...

Two Months of Iran War | Who Is Winning, Who Is Losing, and Who Is Still Deciding?

Two Months Into the Iran War When Donald Trump launched the war on Iran on February 28, he told the world it would be quick, decisive, and worth it. Ten days in, he said the United States had already won the war “in many ways.” (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); Two months later, a definitive end to the conflict is nowhere in sight. A ceasefire is in place but fragile. Diplomacy keeps stalling. And almost every country pulled into this war willingly or not is paying a price it did not budget for. (function(v,d,o,ai){ai=d.createElement('script');ai.defer=true;ai.async=true;ai.src=v.location.protocol+o;d.head.appendChild(ai);})(window, document, '//a.vdo.ai/core/v-livenewsof/vdo.ai.js'); “There aren’t any real winners from the war, but there are some...

Trump Criticizes Pope Leo Over Iran Peace Appeal

(function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); US President Donald Trump has sparked fresh controversy after publicly criticizing Pope Leo following the pontiff’s appeal for peace amid the ongoing Iran conflict. The clash highlights growing tension between political leadership in Washington and the Vatican’s moral stance on war and global diplomacy. The dispute began after Pope Leo made a strong statement urging world leaders to avoid further escalation and prioritize peace. Without directly naming Trump, the pope warned against using power or religion to justify war. His remarks were widely interpreted as criticism of US policy. Trump responded on social media, calling the pope weak on crime and...

Why Trump Is Blockading a Strait Iran Is Already Blocking

After peace talks in Islamabad collapsed, President Trump announced the US Navy would “immediately” begin blockading the Strait of Hormuz. There is one obvious question: why would the US blockade a waterway it has been demanding Iran reopen? (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); The Strait Is Not Fully Closed Iran has not technically sealed the Strait completely. It has been allowing some vessels through in exchange for tolls of up to $2 million per ship. Crucially, Iran has kept its own oil flowing throughout the war, exporting an average of 1.85 million barrels per day through March, slightly above pre-war levels, according to data firm Kpler. The...

Islamabad Talks | US and Iran Fail to Reach a Deal After 21 Hours

The most significant US-Iran diplomatic meeting since the 1979 Islamic Revolution ended without a deal on Sunday. After 21 hours of face-to-face talks in Islamabad. Both sides left the table blaming each other. The ceasefire that expires April 22 now hangs by a thread. (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); What Happened in the Room The talks were the first direct US-Iranian engagement since the 2015 top-level engagement. Vice President JD Vance led the American delegation alongside Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. Iran was represented by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Al Jazeera's correspondent in Islamabad described the outcome as “neither a breakthrough...

Latest Articles