Electric Vehicle Stocks Fell After Manchin Opposes Biden Plan

Get an AI-generated summary of this article.

AI-generated article summary

Electric vehicle companies experienced a drop in stock prices on Monday after the supposed ineffectiveness of the President’s “Build Back Better” plan, which claims vital incentives for the growing industry.

Biden's plan to increase EV sales by 2030
President Joe Biden sitting in an Electric Vehicle. Source: Greencarreports.

On Monday, the stocks of big EV start-ups like Faraday Future, Nikola, and Lordstown Motors all fell over 7%.

Ravian Automotive, a newly public EV company, also hit a new low stock price of $88.40.
Automakers such as General Motors and Tesla – both of which would have been under Build Back Better but no longer qualify for electric vehicle tax credits – also tumbled during the trading period.

Joe Biden’s plan offers up to $12,500 per vehicle in EV incentives, which has been viewed as crucial in driving more sales of EVs, which cost far more than conventional internal combustion engine (ICE) cars.

Transportation officials are considering the Build Back Better bill and the new infrastructure package as critical parts of Biden’s plan to help achieve EV sales ambition.

Biden said he wants roughly half of all vehicles sold by 2030 to be electric. That would include plug-in hybrid EVs with EV batteries and traditional ICPs.

Biden’s bipartisan infrastructure bill allocated $7.5 billion for EV chargers. But Wall Street had cast more doubt on Build Back Better incentives, which have now become doubtful.
Joe Manchin, the Democratic Senator of West Virginia,  effectively condemned the bill on Sunday, stating he would not give a vote of favour in the 50-50 Senate.

The Build Back Better allocated an EV incentive of $7500 tax credit to buy a plug-in-electric car and $500 if the car’s battery is manufactured in the United States. An extra $4,500 tax credit will be given if the car is assembled locally with union labour. This has ignited severe criticism from non-Detroit car manufacturers whose U.S. workers are not organized.

Here, you can examine various EV companies, including Tesla and legacy automakers Ford Motor and GM, which have claimed heavy investments in electric cars. The electric vehicle companies experienced a drop in stock prices on Monday after the supposed ineffectiveness of the President’s “Build Back Better” plan, which claims vital incentives for the growing industry.

Stock prices of EV companies fell on Monday

About Writer

More News

Trump and Xi Meeting Ends with High Stakes, Few Deals, and a Taiwan Warning

US President Donald Trump arrived in Beijing on May 13 for the most consequential American presidential visit to China in nearly a decade, touching down at Beijing Capital International Airport to a ceremony featuring an honor guard and crowds of children waving Chinese and American flags. The two day summit opened with warm words and a careful agenda, but by the time both sides released their readouts of the first day of talks, it became clear that Washington and Beijing were still telling very different stories about what had happened in the room. How the Summit Opened Trump was greeted by...

Two Months of Iran War | Who Is Winning, Who Is Losing, and Who Is Still Deciding?

Two Months Into the Iran War When Donald Trump launched the war on Iran on February 28, he told the world it would be quick, decisive, and worth it. Ten days in, he said the United States had already won the war “in many ways.” (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); Two months later, a definitive end to the conflict is nowhere in sight. A ceasefire is in place but fragile. Diplomacy keeps stalling. And almost every country pulled into this war willingly or not is paying a price it did not budget for. (function(v,d,o,ai){ai=d.createElement('script');ai.defer=true;ai.async=true;ai.src=v.location.protocol+o;d.head.appendChild(ai);})(window, document, '//a.vdo.ai/core/v-livenewsof/vdo.ai.js'); “There aren’t any real winners from the war, but there are some...

Trump Criticizes Pope Leo Over Iran Peace Appeal

(function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); US President Donald Trump has sparked fresh controversy after publicly criticizing Pope Leo following the pontiff’s appeal for peace amid the ongoing Iran conflict. The clash highlights growing tension between political leadership in Washington and the Vatican’s moral stance on war and global diplomacy. The dispute began after Pope Leo made a strong statement urging world leaders to avoid further escalation and prioritize peace. Without directly naming Trump, the pope warned against using power or religion to justify war. His remarks were widely interpreted as criticism of US policy. Trump responded on social media, calling the pope weak on crime and...

Why Trump Is Blockading a Strait Iran Is Already Blocking

After peace talks in Islamabad collapsed, President Trump announced the US Navy would “immediately” begin blockading the Strait of Hormuz. There is one obvious question: why would the US blockade a waterway it has been demanding Iran reopen? (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); The Strait Is Not Fully Closed Iran has not technically sealed the Strait completely. It has been allowing some vessels through in exchange for tolls of up to $2 million per ship. Crucially, Iran has kept its own oil flowing throughout the war, exporting an average of 1.85 million barrels per day through March, slightly above pre-war levels, according to data firm Kpler. The...

Islamabad Talks | US and Iran Fail to Reach a Deal After 21 Hours

The most significant US-Iran diplomatic meeting since the 1979 Islamic Revolution ended without a deal on Sunday. After 21 hours of face-to-face talks in Islamabad. Both sides left the table blaming each other. The ceasefire that expires April 22 now hangs by a thread. (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); What Happened in the Room The talks were the first direct US-Iranian engagement since the 2015 top-level engagement. Vice President JD Vance led the American delegation alongside Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. Iran was represented by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Al Jazeera's correspondent in Islamabad described the outcome as “neither a breakthrough...

Latest Articles