The U.S. Embassy confirms an American citizen dies of coronavirus in Wuhan, China; UAE confirms two more cases

Get an AI-generated summary of this article.

AI-generated article summary

The U.S. embassy said Thursday that a U.S. citizen diagnosed with the new coronavirus passed away in Wuhan, China.

Officials said, “We can confirm that a 60-year-old U.S. citizen detected with coronavirus died at Wuhan’s Jinyintian Hospital on February 6.
We deliver our warm condolences to the family on their loss. Out of regard for the family’s privacy, we’ve no further comment.”

It’s the first reported American causality in an epidemic of the new coronavirus. Wuhan remains the epicentre of the epidemic, where most deaths and infected cases have been spotted.

“The new virus has killed over 700 people and infected more than 34,000,” the Health Commission of China said early Saturday, adding that “Of those, nearly 699 deaths and 25,000 confirmed cases happened in Hubei, according to the province’s figures.”

Authorities in Hubei reported that around 545 patients of coronavirus have ended in the outbreak as of the end of Friday.

The World Health Organization declared the fast-spreading virus a global health emergency in January. The announcement enables the international health agency to mobilize financial and political backup to contain the epidemic promptly.

In the meantime, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released obligatory quarantine orders for the people it exiled from Wuhan. It was the very first time the institute had issued an order of such rank in 50 years.

Washington, for its part, continued evacuating U.S. citizens from the city of Wuhan and detaining them at military bases across the United States. The prominent bases where the Americans are carried include Camp Ashland in Nebraska, March Air Reserve Base of Riverside County, San Diego’s Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Travis Air Force Base in California, and the Lackland Air Base in Texas.

Officials of the U.S. government have stated that they will commit $100 million in existing funds to support WHO activities in China and other affected countries around the world.
The WHO is reaching out to member countries and asking for donations to help with response efforts. Earlier this week, the organization tapped approximately $9 million from its contingency fund for emergencies.

When asked about contributing more funds, HSS Secretary Alex Azar replied that it was “premature” to answer that.

The United Arab Emirates confirms two new cases

The health ministry of the UAE confirmed two fresh cases of the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases in the country to seven. The ministry’s officials said that new patients involve people of Filipino and Chinese nationalities.

About Writer

More News

Trump and Xi Meeting Ends with High Stakes, Few Deals, and a Taiwan Warning

US President Donald Trump arrived in Beijing on May 13 for the most consequential American presidential visit to China in nearly a decade, touching down at Beijing Capital International Airport to a ceremony featuring an honor guard and crowds of children waving Chinese and American flags. The two day summit opened with warm words and a careful agenda, but by the time both sides released their readouts of the first day of talks, it became clear that Washington and Beijing were still telling very different stories about what had happened in the room. How the Summit Opened Trump was greeted by...

Two Months of Iran War | Who Is Winning, Who Is Losing, and Who Is Still Deciding?

Two Months Into the Iran War When Donald Trump launched the war on Iran on February 28, he told the world it would be quick, decisive, and worth it. Ten days in, he said the United States had already won the war “in many ways.” (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); Two months later, a definitive end to the conflict is nowhere in sight. A ceasefire is in place but fragile. Diplomacy keeps stalling. And almost every country pulled into this war willingly or not is paying a price it did not budget for. (function(v,d,o,ai){ai=d.createElement('script');ai.defer=true;ai.async=true;ai.src=v.location.protocol+o;d.head.appendChild(ai);})(window, document, '//a.vdo.ai/core/v-livenewsof/vdo.ai.js'); “There aren’t any real winners from the war, but there are some...

Trump Criticizes Pope Leo Over Iran Peace Appeal

(function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); US President Donald Trump has sparked fresh controversy after publicly criticizing Pope Leo following the pontiff’s appeal for peace amid the ongoing Iran conflict. The clash highlights growing tension between political leadership in Washington and the Vatican’s moral stance on war and global diplomacy. The dispute began after Pope Leo made a strong statement urging world leaders to avoid further escalation and prioritize peace. Without directly naming Trump, the pope warned against using power or religion to justify war. His remarks were widely interpreted as criticism of US policy. Trump responded on social media, calling the pope weak on crime and...

Why Trump Is Blockading a Strait Iran Is Already Blocking

After peace talks in Islamabad collapsed, President Trump announced the US Navy would “immediately” begin blockading the Strait of Hormuz. There is one obvious question: why would the US blockade a waterway it has been demanding Iran reopen? (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); The Strait Is Not Fully Closed Iran has not technically sealed the Strait completely. It has been allowing some vessels through in exchange for tolls of up to $2 million per ship. Crucially, Iran has kept its own oil flowing throughout the war, exporting an average of 1.85 million barrels per day through March, slightly above pre-war levels, according to data firm Kpler. The...

Islamabad Talks | US and Iran Fail to Reach a Deal After 21 Hours

The most significant US-Iran diplomatic meeting since the 1979 Islamic Revolution ended without a deal on Sunday. After 21 hours of face-to-face talks in Islamabad. Both sides left the table blaming each other. The ceasefire that expires April 22 now hangs by a thread. (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); What Happened in the Room The talks were the first direct US-Iranian engagement since the 2015 top-level engagement. Vice President JD Vance led the American delegation alongside Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. Iran was represented by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Al Jazeera's correspondent in Islamabad described the outcome as “neither a breakthrough...

Latest Articles