U.S. Soldiers Sustain Brain Injuries in Iranian Strikes, Pentagon Confirms

Get an AI-generated summary of this article.

AI-generated article summary

The Pentagon on Tuesday stated that 50 members of the U.S. military received brain injuries from Iranian Airstrikes on Al Asad Air Base in Iraq this month; around 16 were reported last week.

The office said that out of 50 affected, 31 were treated in Iraq and cleared to join duty, “Including 15 of the additional service members,” said a Pentagon spokesman, Lt. Col. Thomas Campbell, in a statement Tuesday.

“As stated before, this is a snapshot in time, and numbers can change,” said Colonel Campbell to media reporters, and added, “We will keep providing updates as they become available.”

Pentagon confirms that 50 US soldiers shown signs of serious brain injuries after Iranian missile attacks
U.S troops standing at one of the bases targeted by Iranian missile strikes

The Defense Department announced on Friday that 34 U.S. service members had suffered traumatic brain injuries as a result of the January 8 attacks from Iran’s military.

In the hours after the strikes, President Trump said no Americans had been hurt.

According to the Pentagon’s statement Tuesday, the number of U.S. troops taken to Germany for further evaluation and treatment has also increased to 18 from 17. Colonel Campbell confirmed that one of the service members who was sent to Kuwait has since returned to duty.

Brain injuries are not always suddenly apparent, officials said, citing that delays in confirming the injuries can also be caused by the time it takes for information to work its way to leaders in Washington.
The increasing number of injuries undermines President Donald Trump’s initial statements hours after the airstrikes, in which he didn’t announce any casualties.
“I am pleased to inform you the American people should be extremely grateful and happy,” Trump said during a speech on January 9, adding that “No Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime.”

After the Pentagon reported that American troops were reflecting signs of concussions following Iranian missile strikes, Mr Trump on January 22 marginalized the symptoms as “not very serious,” drawing criticism from veterans’ groups.

“I heard they had headaches,” Trump spoke at a news conference in Davos, Switzerland. “No, I do not consider them very lethal injuries compared to other injuries that I’ve seen.”

The White House didn’t directly respond to a request for comment Tuesday night.

Iran launched at least a dozen missiles during the attack on two of the bases in Iraq housing the U.S. troops. The Islamic State did it in retaliation for the killing of its top general, Qasem Soleimani, who died in an American drone strike in Baghdad on January 3.

 

About Writer

More News

Trump and Xi Meeting Ends with High Stakes, Few Deals, and a Taiwan Warning

US President Donald Trump arrived in Beijing on May 13 for the most consequential American presidential visit to China in nearly a decade, touching down at Beijing Capital International Airport to a ceremony featuring an honor guard and crowds of children waving Chinese and American flags. The two day summit opened with warm words and a careful agenda, but by the time both sides released their readouts of the first day of talks, it became clear that Washington and Beijing were still telling very different stories about what had happened in the room. How the Summit Opened Trump was greeted by...

Two Months of Iran War | Who Is Winning, Who Is Losing, and Who Is Still Deciding?

Two Months Into the Iran War When Donald Trump launched the war on Iran on February 28, he told the world it would be quick, decisive, and worth it. Ten days in, he said the United States had already won the war “in many ways.” (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); Two months later, a definitive end to the conflict is nowhere in sight. A ceasefire is in place but fragile. Diplomacy keeps stalling. And almost every country pulled into this war willingly or not is paying a price it did not budget for. (function(v,d,o,ai){ai=d.createElement('script');ai.defer=true;ai.async=true;ai.src=v.location.protocol+o;d.head.appendChild(ai);})(window, document, '//a.vdo.ai/core/v-livenewsof/vdo.ai.js'); “There aren’t any real winners from the war, but there are some...

Trump Criticizes Pope Leo Over Iran Peace Appeal

(function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); US President Donald Trump has sparked fresh controversy after publicly criticizing Pope Leo following the pontiff’s appeal for peace amid the ongoing Iran conflict. The clash highlights growing tension between political leadership in Washington and the Vatican’s moral stance on war and global diplomacy. The dispute began after Pope Leo made a strong statement urging world leaders to avoid further escalation and prioritize peace. Without directly naming Trump, the pope warned against using power or religion to justify war. His remarks were widely interpreted as criticism of US policy. Trump responded on social media, calling the pope weak on crime and...

Why Trump Is Blockading a Strait Iran Is Already Blocking

After peace talks in Islamabad collapsed, President Trump announced the US Navy would “immediately” begin blockading the Strait of Hormuz. There is one obvious question: why would the US blockade a waterway it has been demanding Iran reopen? (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); The Strait Is Not Fully Closed Iran has not technically sealed the Strait completely. It has been allowing some vessels through in exchange for tolls of up to $2 million per ship. Crucially, Iran has kept its own oil flowing throughout the war, exporting an average of 1.85 million barrels per day through March, slightly above pre-war levels, according to data firm Kpler. The...

Islamabad Talks | US and Iran Fail to Reach a Deal After 21 Hours

The most significant US-Iran diplomatic meeting since the 1979 Islamic Revolution ended without a deal on Sunday. After 21 hours of face-to-face talks in Islamabad. Both sides left the table blaming each other. The ceasefire that expires April 22 now hangs by a thread. (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); What Happened in the Room The talks were the first direct US-Iranian engagement since the 2015 top-level engagement. Vice President JD Vance led the American delegation alongside Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. Iran was represented by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Al Jazeera's correspondent in Islamabad described the outcome as “neither a breakthrough...

Latest Articles