Iran ‘appears to be standing down’, says Trump

Get an AI-generated summary of this article.

AI-generated article summary

President of the United States, Mr Trump, said this Wednesday that Iran “appears to be standing down.” The statement came after Iran targeted nearly two U.S. bases in Iraq in retaliation for the U.S. assassinating of Gen. Qasem Soleimani.

Trump announcement regarding missiles strikes on bases in Iraq

The U.S. will take some time looking at its options and will “straightaway impose additional punishing economic sanctions on the Iranian regime,” said President Trump.

In his statement on Wednesday, Jan. 7th, Trump has repeatedly asserted that Tehran must abandon its nuclear programs, vowing: “As long as I’m president of the United States, Iran will never be allowed to build a nuclear weapon.”
The U.S. President also revealed a gesture of harmony, saying that the United States is still open to negotiations with Tehran.
“We must work together toward making an agreement with Iran that makes the world a safer and more peaceful place,” Mr Trump said.

Trump called on other world powers to withdraw from the Obama-time nuclear deal with Tehran and work out a new one.

The President of the United States, while speaking from the grand foyer of the White House, confirmed no Americans were harmed in Tuesday’s night missile attacks by Iran on two U.S. bases in Iraq. Trump defended his administration’s judgment last week to attack Soleimani, saying the general’s “hands were drenched in both American and Iranian blood.”

Hours after Trump’s announcement, a U.S. military’s top general told reporters at the Pentagon that Iran fired over a dozen missiles with the intent “to kill personnel.”
Gen. Mark Milley, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, praised early warning systems, which warned about the incoming ballistic missiles well in advance, allowing the U.S. and allied forces enough time to take shelter at both bases.
The general described the damage to parking lots, tents and a helicopter, among other things, as “nothing major.”

President this Wednesday at the grand foyer of the White House was accompanied by Vice President Mike Pence, State Secretary Mike Pompeo, Marker Esper, the Defense Secretary and other top officers of the U.S. military branches.
The President spoke for nearly ten minutes and took no questions.

Iran last night fired about a dozen missiles from its territory, targeting two military bases in Iraq housing the U.S. troops and soldiers of coalition forces.

Corps of Iranian Revolutionary Guards described the attacks as the beginning of “fierce revenge” in condemnation of the U.S. killing of Gen. Soleimani, whom the Trump administration alleges had planned offences that were only “days” away from execution.

In his speech amid the Tuesday missile attacks, Iran’s Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei called the barrage a “slap on the face” of the U.S. government.
“They were slapped last night, but such military actions are not enough,” Khomeini tweeted Wednesday.


Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif responded in a different tone, tweeting that Iran “took and concluded proportionate measures” against the assassination of Qasem Soleimani. He added, “We do not seek escalation or war but will defend ourselves against any aggression.”

Trump – after the attacks being made on U.S. bases in Iraq – didn’t state any formal address but wrote in a tweet that “all is well!”
“Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq … I will be making a statement tomorrow morning,” Trump tweeted.

Hours before Iran launched missile attacks, the U.S. Secretary of Defense Mark Esper demonstrated that they do not want war with Tehran. He said, “We are not looking to begin a war with the Islamic State, but we’re ready to finish one.” Esper added that Washington likes to see the situation de-escalate.

Earlier Tuesday, Secretary State Michael R. Pompeo said the U.S. “got it right” by killing General Soleimani.

“It was the right decision. The Department of Defense did an excellent job that fits perfectly within our strategy in how to counter the threat of malign activity from Iran more widely,” Pompeo told reporters at the State Department.

“There is still a lot of buzz about attacks last night, but the fact there appear to be no causalities and that Iran provided defining language around the strike by cautioning the U.S. not to respond, and the fact that President Trump took a night to access what was going on, gives the probability that there is an off-ramp, said Michelle Dover, director of programs at Ploughshares Fund foundation.

Tensions between Washington and Tehran started to mount after President Trump backed away from the landmark Iran nuclear agreement signed by the Obama administration.
On Sunday, Iran declared it would not abide by any of the limits enforced in the nuclear deal on the amount of uranium enrichment centrifuges.

Iran may also stop complying with some commitments in the nuclear agreement after President Trump withdrew from it in 2018. Trump also re-implemented sanctions on Tehran that had been previously lifted in accordance with the 2018 deal.

The last year was marked by heightened geopolitical disturbance, including numerous attacks on tankers and oil facilities blamed on Tehran, Iran’s suspected attack that cut Saudi Arabian oil production in half, the Iranian downing of a U.S. drone, and increasingly heavy U.S. sanctions laid down on the Iranian regime.

About Writer

More News

Trump and Xi Meeting Ends with High Stakes, Few Deals, and a Taiwan Warning

US President Donald Trump arrived in Beijing on May 13 for the most consequential American presidential visit to China in nearly a decade, touching down at Beijing Capital International Airport to a ceremony featuring an honor guard and crowds of children waving Chinese and American flags. The two day summit opened with warm words and a careful agenda, but by the time both sides released their readouts of the first day of talks, it became clear that Washington and Beijing were still telling very different stories about what had happened in the room. How the Summit Opened Trump was greeted by...

Two Months of Iran War | Who Is Winning, Who Is Losing, and Who Is Still Deciding?

Two Months Into the Iran War When Donald Trump launched the war on Iran on February 28, he told the world it would be quick, decisive, and worth it. Ten days in, he said the United States had already won the war “in many ways.” (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); Two months later, a definitive end to the conflict is nowhere in sight. A ceasefire is in place but fragile. Diplomacy keeps stalling. And almost every country pulled into this war willingly or not is paying a price it did not budget for. (function(v,d,o,ai){ai=d.createElement('script');ai.defer=true;ai.async=true;ai.src=v.location.protocol+o;d.head.appendChild(ai);})(window, document, '//a.vdo.ai/core/v-livenewsof/vdo.ai.js'); “There aren’t any real winners from the war, but there are some...

Trump Criticizes Pope Leo Over Iran Peace Appeal

(function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); US President Donald Trump has sparked fresh controversy after publicly criticizing Pope Leo following the pontiff’s appeal for peace amid the ongoing Iran conflict. The clash highlights growing tension between political leadership in Washington and the Vatican’s moral stance on war and global diplomacy. The dispute began after Pope Leo made a strong statement urging world leaders to avoid further escalation and prioritize peace. Without directly naming Trump, the pope warned against using power or religion to justify war. His remarks were widely interpreted as criticism of US policy. Trump responded on social media, calling the pope weak on crime and...

Why Trump Is Blockading a Strait Iran Is Already Blocking

After peace talks in Islamabad collapsed, President Trump announced the US Navy would “immediately” begin blockading the Strait of Hormuz. There is one obvious question: why would the US blockade a waterway it has been demanding Iran reopen? (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); The Strait Is Not Fully Closed Iran has not technically sealed the Strait completely. It has been allowing some vessels through in exchange for tolls of up to $2 million per ship. Crucially, Iran has kept its own oil flowing throughout the war, exporting an average of 1.85 million barrels per day through March, slightly above pre-war levels, according to data firm Kpler. The...

Islamabad Talks | US and Iran Fail to Reach a Deal After 21 Hours

The most significant US-Iran diplomatic meeting since the 1979 Islamic Revolution ended without a deal on Sunday. After 21 hours of face-to-face talks in Islamabad. Both sides left the table blaming each other. The ceasefire that expires April 22 now hangs by a thread. (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); What Happened in the Room The talks were the first direct US-Iranian engagement since the 2015 top-level engagement. Vice President JD Vance led the American delegation alongside Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. Iran was represented by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Al Jazeera's correspondent in Islamabad described the outcome as “neither a breakthrough...

Latest Articles