Coronavirus spread outside China is of ‘grave concern’, says WHO officials

Get an AI-generated summary of this article.

AI-generated article summary

The World Health Organization stated Wednesday that the spread of the new coronavirus outside of China is of “grave concern,” which has prompted it to reconsider an emergency meeting this week to determine whether the coronavirus outbreak has become a global emergency.

Coronavirus outbreak outside of China is of serious concern
World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus speaks during a press conference in Geneva on January 22, 2020.

The new virus, first seen in the Chinese city of Wuhan, has now passed on to a handful of people outside China, with human-to-human transmission also reported, Dr Mile Ryan, executive director of WHO’s health emergencies program, told a news conference at Geneva headquarters Wednesday.

“The developments in terms of the evolution of the spread and further expansion of transmission are of grave concern and have urged countries into action,” Ryan said and added that he had just returned from China.

“What we got at this stage is that this is still clearly a very active outbreak, and details are being updated and varying by the hour,” Ryan said.

Up to currently, the coronavirus epidemic has killed 132 people in China, with more than 6,150 infected across over a dozen countries worldwide.

The WHO’s chief director said there are 71 cases in around 15 other countries outside China. However, at two emergency meetings last week, he declined to affirm the coronavirus as a global health emergency.

First reported in Wuhan on December 31, the coronavirus mushroomed to 6,061 cases in mainland China as of Wednesday morning. The virus has surpassed the total number of SARS cases in China during the 2003 epidemic.

According to the World Health Organization, 5,327 SARS cases in China and about 8,000 worldwide were identified between November 1, 2002, and July 31, 2003.
Last week, Ryan told reporters about the WHO’s criteria used to determine whether a disease is an international health emergency, saying that it depends on if a disease spreads in new parts of the world, “and that’s a nuanced and crucial distinction to make.”

Dr Mile Ryan further told the reporters that the other key criteria are to assess whether an outbreak has already interfered with or will likely interfere with travel and trade.
Ryan said the goal of WHO’s committee is to contain an epidemic without unnecessarily disturbing economic activity by declaring a global health crisis.

Some German health officials said on Tuesday that a 33-year-old man there contracted the virus from a colleague whom he visited at a workplace in Shanghai, pointing to what appears to be one of the first cases of human-to-human transmission outside China.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the Director-General of WHO, described the “continued rise in cases and the confirmation of person-to-person transmission outside of China as definitely most disturbing.” According to Tedros, illness from the new coronavirus produces a range of symptoms that could eventually make patients extremely ill with pneumonia and respiratory failure.

“Though the numbers outside China are relatively low, they hold the potential for a much greater outbreak,” Tedros warned.

The WHO Director-General also said late during the conference that he recently met with Chinese President Xi Jinping, China’s minister of foreign affairs, Wang Yi, and China’s National Health Commission minister, Ma Xiaowei, on Tuesday. During the meeting, the Chinese officials and I discussed containment measures and sharing information on the virus, Tedros said.

“I was really encouraged and impressed by the President’s knowledge of the outbreak and his self-involvement in the response,” Tedros told reporters.

World Health Organization officials explained that they view the current coronavirus epidemic on four different fronts:

  • The public health response in the city of Wuhan
  • The response in other Chinese provinces
  • The 15 other countries with confirmed cases
  • Preventative initiatives worldwide

“We’re moving forward on sharing information, guidelines and tools,” the WHO Director-General said.

About Writer

More News

Trump and Xi Meeting Ends with High Stakes, Few Deals, and a Taiwan Warning

US President Donald Trump arrived in Beijing on May 13 for the most consequential American presidential visit to China in nearly a decade, touching down at Beijing Capital International Airport to a ceremony featuring an honor guard and crowds of children waving Chinese and American flags. The two day summit opened with warm words and a careful agenda, but by the time both sides released their readouts of the first day of talks, it became clear that Washington and Beijing were still telling very different stories about what had happened in the room. How the Summit Opened Trump was greeted by...

Two Months of Iran War | Who Is Winning, Who Is Losing, and Who Is Still Deciding?

Two Months Into the Iran War When Donald Trump launched the war on Iran on February 28, he told the world it would be quick, decisive, and worth it. Ten days in, he said the United States had already won the war “in many ways.” (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); Two months later, a definitive end to the conflict is nowhere in sight. A ceasefire is in place but fragile. Diplomacy keeps stalling. And almost every country pulled into this war willingly or not is paying a price it did not budget for. (function(v,d,o,ai){ai=d.createElement('script');ai.defer=true;ai.async=true;ai.src=v.location.protocol+o;d.head.appendChild(ai);})(window, document, '//a.vdo.ai/core/v-livenewsof/vdo.ai.js'); “There aren’t any real winners from the war, but there are some...

Trump Criticizes Pope Leo Over Iran Peace Appeal

(function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); US President Donald Trump has sparked fresh controversy after publicly criticizing Pope Leo following the pontiff’s appeal for peace amid the ongoing Iran conflict. The clash highlights growing tension between political leadership in Washington and the Vatican’s moral stance on war and global diplomacy. The dispute began after Pope Leo made a strong statement urging world leaders to avoid further escalation and prioritize peace. Without directly naming Trump, the pope warned against using power or religion to justify war. His remarks were widely interpreted as criticism of US policy. Trump responded on social media, calling the pope weak on crime and...

Why Trump Is Blockading a Strait Iran Is Already Blocking

After peace talks in Islamabad collapsed, President Trump announced the US Navy would “immediately” begin blockading the Strait of Hormuz. There is one obvious question: why would the US blockade a waterway it has been demanding Iran reopen? (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); The Strait Is Not Fully Closed Iran has not technically sealed the Strait completely. It has been allowing some vessels through in exchange for tolls of up to $2 million per ship. Crucially, Iran has kept its own oil flowing throughout the war, exporting an average of 1.85 million barrels per day through March, slightly above pre-war levels, according to data firm Kpler. The...

Islamabad Talks | US and Iran Fail to Reach a Deal After 21 Hours

The most significant US-Iran diplomatic meeting since the 1979 Islamic Revolution ended without a deal on Sunday. After 21 hours of face-to-face talks in Islamabad. Both sides left the table blaming each other. The ceasefire that expires April 22 now hangs by a thread. (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); What Happened in the Room The talks were the first direct US-Iranian engagement since the 2015 top-level engagement. Vice President JD Vance led the American delegation alongside Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. Iran was represented by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Al Jazeera's correspondent in Islamabad described the outcome as “neither a breakthrough...

Latest Articles