HBO Max Returns as Warner Bros. Discovery Renames Streaming Service Again

Get an AI-generated summary of this article.

AI-generated article summary

Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD) said on May 14, 2025, that they will bring back the HBO Max name this summer. The announcement came at a New York event. It reverses a 2023 choice to call the service Max after a big company merger in 2022.

Warner Bros. Discovery has announced the return of HBO Max.
In 2023, Warner Bros. rebranded its HBO Max streaming service, simplifying the name to “Max.” However, this summer, the company plans to revert to the original name. Source: AP News.

“Our streaming growth comes from great shows,” said CEO David Zaslav. “HBO stands for top-quality media. It will help us grow more.” HBO Max will focus on popular shows like The White Lotus and The Last of Us, plus new movies and some reality series.

WBD wants HBO Max to stand out with great content, not tons of it. This differs from Netflix, which has 300 million users and many shows.

JB Perrette said, “We focus on what makes us special. Our shows are unique for adults and families.”

“They just hit differently.” Disney’s boss, Bob Iger, also says quality wins in streaming. WBD’s streaming made $339 million in profit in early 2025, up from $86 million last year. It added 22 million users in 2024, hitting 122.3 million total. The company wants 150 million by 2026.

HBO’s streaming service started with HBO Go in 2010 for cable users. HBO Now followed in 2015 for others. HBO Max launched in 2020 under AT&T. It added kids’ shows, movies, and reality TV to grow worldwide.

The “Max” name showed this mix. After WBD’s 2022 merger, Max launched in 2023 with Discovery+ shows like Dr. Pimple Popper. Leaders thought HBO’s name was too adult-focused. But the Max name confused people.

The app had tech issues, and WBD’s stock fell 15% in 2025. Now, HBO Max is back. Casey Bloys, HBO’s content chief, joked about reusing old logos.

Streaming is tough for old media companies. Disney and Paramount lose money on their services. WBD added a $7.99 fee to stop password sharing. It plans to launch a CNN streaming service soon. Losing NBA rights next season hurts Max’s sports appeal.

WBD is paying off debt, so it spends less on new shows than Netflix. The company may split its streaming and movie units from cable networks like CNN.

Analyst David Faber says this could happen soon. It shows the 2022 merger didn’t work as hoped. The name change got big laughs online. WBD joined the fun.

Max’s X account said:

“These rebrands are trying to murder me.” The old @hbomax account posted, “What is dead may never die,” with a Game of Thrones clip.

Branding expert Eric Schiffer called it “a corporate walk of shame.” Fans are happy since HBO is back, but annoyed by the confusion. Some always called it HBO anyway. A March 2025 logo change to HBO’s black-and-white style hinted at the shift. Critics say Max was already known, so this might confuse people more.

HBO Max aims to grow worldwide with HBO’s firm name. WBD bets on ad-supported plans and shows like The Pitt and Hacks. It wants $1.3 billion in streaming profit in 2025.

However, Netflix and Disney are tough competitors. Frequent name changes might push users away. WBD’s funny social media posts have softened the backlash. The company must prove HBO Max is worth the price to keep and grow its audience.

About Writer

More News

Trump and Xi Meeting Ends with High Stakes, Few Deals, and a Taiwan Warning

US President Donald Trump arrived in Beijing on May 13 for the most consequential American presidential visit to China in nearly a decade, touching down at Beijing Capital International Airport to a ceremony featuring an honor guard and crowds of children waving Chinese and American flags. The two day summit opened with warm words and a careful agenda, but by the time both sides released their readouts of the first day of talks, it became clear that Washington and Beijing were still telling very different stories about what had happened in the room. How the Summit Opened Trump was greeted by...

Two Months of Iran War | Who Is Winning, Who Is Losing, and Who Is Still Deciding?

Two Months Into the Iran War When Donald Trump launched the war on Iran on February 28, he told the world it would be quick, decisive, and worth it. Ten days in, he said the United States had already won the war “in many ways.” (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); Two months later, a definitive end to the conflict is nowhere in sight. A ceasefire is in place but fragile. Diplomacy keeps stalling. And almost every country pulled into this war willingly or not is paying a price it did not budget for. (function(v,d,o,ai){ai=d.createElement('script');ai.defer=true;ai.async=true;ai.src=v.location.protocol+o;d.head.appendChild(ai);})(window, document, '//a.vdo.ai/core/v-livenewsof/vdo.ai.js'); “There aren’t any real winners from the war, but there are some...

Trump Criticizes Pope Leo Over Iran Peace Appeal

(function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); US President Donald Trump has sparked fresh controversy after publicly criticizing Pope Leo following the pontiff’s appeal for peace amid the ongoing Iran conflict. The clash highlights growing tension between political leadership in Washington and the Vatican’s moral stance on war and global diplomacy. The dispute began after Pope Leo made a strong statement urging world leaders to avoid further escalation and prioritize peace. Without directly naming Trump, the pope warned against using power or religion to justify war. His remarks were widely interpreted as criticism of US policy. Trump responded on social media, calling the pope weak on crime and...

Why Trump Is Blockading a Strait Iran Is Already Blocking

After peace talks in Islamabad collapsed, President Trump announced the US Navy would “immediately” begin blockading the Strait of Hormuz. There is one obvious question: why would the US blockade a waterway it has been demanding Iran reopen? (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); The Strait Is Not Fully Closed Iran has not technically sealed the Strait completely. It has been allowing some vessels through in exchange for tolls of up to $2 million per ship. Crucially, Iran has kept its own oil flowing throughout the war, exporting an average of 1.85 million barrels per day through March, slightly above pre-war levels, according to data firm Kpler. The...

Islamabad Talks | US and Iran Fail to Reach a Deal After 21 Hours

The most significant US-Iran diplomatic meeting since the 1979 Islamic Revolution ended without a deal on Sunday. After 21 hours of face-to-face talks in Islamabad. Both sides left the table blaming each other. The ceasefire that expires April 22 now hangs by a thread. (function(w,q){w=w||;w.push()})(window,"_mgq"); What Happened in the Room The talks were the first direct US-Iranian engagement since the 2015 top-level engagement. Vice President JD Vance led the American delegation alongside Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. Iran was represented by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Al Jazeera's correspondent in Islamabad described the outcome as “neither a breakthrough...

Latest Articles